I have seen this meltdown occur with Jackson when he is has been gone several days without enough good rest. Today was one of worst I have seen and it occurred when I was trying to get him to lay down for a nap this morning because he was obviously so tired.
The meltdown involved:
- Little word usage
Some things I tried to get him to relax:
- Getting him to communicate with words instead of yelling. This was not that useful during the meltdown but he was receptive to putting his feelings into words during the periods he was calm.
- Talking to him calmly and reassuringly while he was most anxious seemed to be more effective in this type of meltdown more than others.
- He seemed more receptive than usual to outside stimuli such as noises outside his room and light from the window.
Take away items for me:
- See if there are AS meltdown specific books. If so I would love to read one.
- Talk to him calmly during this type of meltdown.